Thursday 21 October 2010

What a difference an EPC makes

I fully believe in EPCs. To be honest I wouldn't carry them out if I didn't. But I have to admit that one of my main wishes is that EPCs are promoted more as the useful tool that they are - I carried one out on my late mother in laws house 2 years ago and the benefit that she gained from it was brilliant. She had an end of terrace 1950s' cavity build local authority property with 50mm of loft insulation and no cavity wall insulation. The boiler at the time had just been updated to a combination boiler and there were TRVs on the radiators as well as a programmer and wall thermostat to control the heating.
When she had the EPC she went to the Local Council who then helped her by getting the loft insulation upgraded to 300mm and having the cavity wall insulation put in.
This saved her over 40% on her heating bills during the course of that winter and as an OAP was brilliant for her.

Its difficult to explain how strongly I feel about the need for greater awareness about the value of the EPC and the grants that are available for better insulation etc - not only will this save people money but it saves energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment