Tuesday 25 January 2011

Austerity mum?

I read this morning that a lady had been writing a blog about tightening her belt, cutting costs and saving money during the current climate - only problem was she was writing this "creatively" as she actually lives in a beautiful 8 bedroom house which includes a ballroom -

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gxc4j1ZnMwlk_CYVjKYfxol0Kihg?docId=CNG.ae92b0aa2b694ca3182261c1f11bfc1a.781

Unfortunately as I write this I am not sitting a mini mansion in a lovely countryside retreat I am sitting in my "office"/4th bedroom/boxroom hoping more work will come in this week!

In all fairness it is getting increasingly difficult for the majority of people - negative equity, not able to remortgage, lack of work, overtime cuts, prices going up in the supermarkets and on petrol!

I try and work as much as I can, send out email marketing letters to estate and letting agents, walk everywhere possible - school run etc to reduce petrol costs, I even have one of those meters (that you plug in) in the kitchen telling me how much electricity I am using per minute - it really does help me remember to turn things off at the socket!

We are all having to tighten our belts and its not fun - but in a minute I am sticking the two youngest in their wellies and we are going into the garden so they can play/get filthy and I can sort out the veg patch and the greenhouse and see what I can start to sow ready for the summer months. I do actually like gardening, its relaxing, I get to see results fairly quickly and its really nice eating fresh tomatoes and cucumbers etc. It might not be much but planting garlic last year meant that we haven't had to buy any over 8 months and in these times any little helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment